Sunday, July 26, 2026

Living with COPD

Living with COPD, especially when the weather is extremely hot or cold is challenging. All the years that I smoked, that could be the main reason for my shortness of breathe. To be honest, my shortness of breathe came upon me during the pandemic. Working in a hospital in housekeeping is challenging enough on it's own, but I was the only housekeeper who handled what we called the tower (10 floors of rooms) on the 3rd shift. 8 hours of cleaning rooms with a mask on was not an easy task, especially when I was getting paged for back to back STAT cleans on rooms. In August I went into work with a really bad summer cold, they took my temperature, sent me down to the ER and I got tested and they said it was positive and sent me home. I was home almost 2 weeks before they let me go back to work. My breathing has never been the same since all that happened. They gave all the employees an ultimatium. Either get the vaccine or be fired, I chose early retirement. Vaccine or no Vaccine, I knew my working in a mask was just not going to continue. Now since I've moved to Arkansas I have had 2 acute COPD attacks. 1st one had me in the ER. I started home treatments with a nebulizer. My first visit with my Dr. had me walking up and down the hallway to see just how low my oxygen was going. Thank goodness my daughter went with me as I really didn't think I was going to make it up and down that hallway by myself. So now I'm on oxygen as needed at home. My 2nd acute attack was not as bad as my first and it helps that I have the equipment here to help take care of it. plus I have maintenance meds. I never realized how much energy your body puts out when it's struggling to breathe. I was struggling when Tony went into the hospital and on my last Dr. visit, over a few month's ago I had lost weight. I was thinking with all those Cup A Soups I eat, I would have gained. We are under another extreme heat warning for the next 3 days. I will be staying inside and eating my Cup A Soups. LOL

No comments: