Tuesday, September 1, 2026
Sea Green
When all our friends and cousins were over, there was few things we couldn't do and one of those thing's was don't get on Debbie's tricycle. Unfortunately like most typical kids, we had to push the boundry. I got on the tricycle and Marsha was going to push me down the driveway. I couldn't hold my feet up out front so I put them towards the back of the tricycle. So off we go and we hit a hole in the asphalt driveway, Marsha let go and the tricycle and I fell forward. I don't know why but I didn't let go of the handle bars and I fell right down forward right onto my forehead. I had a hole in my head full of gravel and asphalt and both sets of knuckles scraped. My Mom and Thelma (lady from across the street) helped me inside and started picking rocks out of my forehead. I remember how bad it hurt and my Mom telling me to try and grit my teeth to see if that helped. It didn't. After they were through putting me through all that pain, Mom called the Dr. and he said i had to stay awake at least 6 hours as I might have a concussion from hitting my head. It was pretty boring laying there on the couch. Thelma came over and brought me some new coloring books and one of those big boxes of crayons. Ya know the one with the crayon sharpener in the back of the box. Do they even make them like that any more? So. that was the day I discovered the color Sea Green. Such a beautiful color. Green had always been my favorite color to begin with but that was nothing compared to this new color. Mom went up to the little neighborhood grocery store, J. T. Robinsons. She brought me home ice cream. Every 15 minutes or so she would stop what she was doing and come check on me. That night was the first night I had ever got to sleep on the couch all night. She wanted to check on me and not wake my sisters in the middle of the night. After that day, is when I became obsessed with collecting Sea Green crayons. For years I would take that crayon from anyone's crayon box. I didn't realize it then that I was stealing. I hid them under one of my drawers, in the chest of drawers set. No one ever pulled those drawers completely out. My poor children had to endure my obsession also. They knew before even opening up that box of crayons, they were going to have to pull the sea green crayon out and give it to me. My daughter Beth still to this day tells everyone how they never had a sea green crayon to color with. I had an old cigar box full of nothing but sea green crayons. During one of my many moves over the years, that box got misplaced. Somewhere out the someone has an old cigar box full of sea green crayons wondering what fool would collect just sea green crayons. If they only knew. 🤣
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment